Wednesday 27 January 2010

indonews 2010: 3 of us!

I am not alone. In fact, I am together with two other girls on the pursue to bring Indonesian art to Europe.


Nicole Baros is American-Dutch. Living in Yogya for circa 3 months, she is doing a McPhill in Arts at Leiden University. Because she researches on Indonesian Contemporary art, she participated in the exhibition Beyond the Dutch. After this, she came to Indonesia. Lucky Nicole was given a residency at Cemeti Art House while she stayed.


Blond, blue-eye and beautiful, her Dutch looks mixed with her American joy make her an adorable character. She was always very kind to me and I believe we became real friends. I told her I have a paper in the Lisbon University about Batik in the following month. And asked her to remember me, in case something comes up in Holland! I would love to do batik workshops there!


We said goodbye on the 20th, Nicole is already back in Europe. Hope to see you soon!

Ah, Nicole is researching on women artists, so cool!


Katerine Bruch is Peruan-German by birth. Supported by the Goethe Institute, she will stay in Yogya until the end of March. Oh, I envy her! We met fewer times, but Katerina and I we had already emailed each other while ago, because Curator Shaheen Merali put us in contact.


When we first met, Fx Harsono and Curator Hendro Wyianto were in Yogya. I asked them to let Katerina join and we went to see exhibitions all together. So, I actually introduced her to them J


Lucky Katerina was given a residency in IVAA (the archives here) for her research period. I made these archives my second home, I had to go there in every occasion I got, because there many books I needed to read existed.


I came from Portugal, supported by the Orient Foundation. This institution is not yet known in Yogyakarta’s contemporary art world.


Actually, my teachers from ISI know about it, because they came to Lisbon, with an invitation by the Embassy of Indonesia in Nov ’09 to participate on the Festival in the Orient Museum.


Anyway, I talk about Orient Foundation every time I can, stating that due to my passion for Batik, and the willingness of Indonesians to promote it – World Heritage by UNESCO since Oct’09 – a donation by Hudy Suharnoko, a fine collector from Jakarta, arrived in Lisbon in Nov’09.


Now we have the Memory. Please help me bring the Contemporaneity.


Salam, noor

No comments: